As Richmond’s largest and oldest company and the city’s largest taxpayer, Chevron provides jobs for about 2,700 company employees and 850 contract workers. Most people think of us as the refinery that reliably provides motor fuels and other transportation and lubricant products.
But, many other Chevron business units also are headquartered or have a prominent stake in Richmond and Contra Costa County. For example:
- Chevron Business and Real Estate Services (CBRES): provides real estate services such as buying, selling and leasing properties; evaluates space requirements; provides project management and construction services; and manages the operations of Chevron’s office and laboratory facilities throughout the world. Locally, they manage Chevron’s Richmond Technology Center and other office facilities, and evaluate development opportunities for many of Chevron’s real estate assets throughout the area.
- Chevron Environmental Management Company (CEMC) provides a wide range of environmental liability management services in 53 countries, with significant remediation and monitoring projects in Richmond. Their focus includes site assessment and remediation, environmental due diligence, onshore and offshore facilities decommissioning, well field abandonment and long-term monitoring. CEMS strives to develop beneficial reuse solutions that serve the community and are protective of human health and the environment.
- Chevron Energy Solutions (CES) is one of the nation’s leading energy efficiency and renewable energy services companies, whose projects have saved customers more than $1 billion in energy costs and have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by more than 3 million metric tons. Examples of Richmond-area projects include designing and installing solar power systems at the Richmond Auditorium, City Hall and Main Library and installing a “cool roof” at the Main Library that reflects solar heat and reduces air conditioning costs.
- Chevron’s Energy Technology Company (ETC) provides technology solutions and technical expertise for Chevron operations worldwide. This includes inventing industry-leading, proprietary technologies designed to find and produce energy reserves safely and economically, while protecting the environment and supporting local communities.
- Chevron Global Lubricants is a leading supplier of finished and unfinished lubricants and premium base oils for commercial, industrial, marine and retail customer applications. Its three brands, Chevron, Texaco and Caltex, are recognized around the world for their legacy of technical innovation, performance and reliability. Products include motor oils, diesel engine oils, engine coolants and transmission fluids.
- Chevron’s Global Marketing sells refined products and lubricants on six continents. Many of these products are manufactured at our Richmond refinery, which is part of a worldwide system of refineries that can process more than 2 million barrels of crude oil per day. In addition, Global Marketing oversees service stations in the U.S., Latin America, Asia, Africa, Pakistan and the United Kingdom, and road safety training for employees who deliver Chevron products.
- Chevron Oronite develops, manufactures and markets more than 500 performance-enhancing additives for fuels and lubricating oils, supplying one-fourth of the world’s fuel and lubricant additives. Chevron Oronite’s Richmond technology center serves as global headquarters for automotive engine, industrial engine and specialty lubricants, as well as fuel additives product lines. The center is home to synthesis and process design chemists whose innovations lead to the discovery and manufacture of new chemicals.
- Chevron Richmond Refinery is among the country’s largest and most important refineries, processing up to 240,000 barrels of crude oil a day – more than any other Bay Area refinery. The refinery makes high-quality products that include gasoline, jet fuel, diesel fuel and lubricants, as well as chemicals used to manufacture many other useful products. It is the largest producer of base oils on the West Coast.